Welcome back! We hope you have had a lovely break and are ready for the Autumn term.
The teacher in Year 4 is Miss Davies. The teaching assistants are Mrs Anderson and Mrs Moorfield.
Autumn 1 Learning
Year 4 have been learning all about The Romans and about Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii this term. We have made Roman Mosaics using dried food and have written instructions about them. Additionally, we have made Roman shields and painted volcano pictures. In line with these, we have written a diary entry and a non-chronological report. In Maths we have been refreshing and expanding our knowledge on place value. In computing, we have been using scratch.
Autumn 2 Learning
Our book next term is Sheep Pig which is the book behind the film of ‘BABE’ and our Science topic is humans and other animals. In Maths, we will be covering all 4 operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
Children’s daily homework consists of regular reading of their school book, practising their timestables (through TTRockstarrs) and practising spellings. Additional homework will be given on an ad-hoc basis and will mainly be related to researching about our current term topic. This will develop your child’s knowledge.
For spellings there is a weekly test which takes place on Tuesdays. It will be clear to see which children have practised their timestables as their confidence and self-esteem in Maths will improve. We also have inter-class competitions.
As well as weekly homework, your child has a reading book which they are expected to regularly practise reading at home.Each child will be listened to read at least once per week by an adult. A reading quiz will take place on the computers before a child can take home a new book.
Ways you can help your child develop their reading and comprehension skills:
- Encourage your child to read on a regular basis
- Encourage your child to read a range of different books from different authors/genres. Taking them to a library would also help.
- Listen to your child read on a regular basis, during this time also ask them a range of questions to help develop their understanding of the book and improve their vocabulary. …
- What does that word mean?
- If you don’t know the meaning of the word, can you have a guess using the sentences around it?
- What has happened so far (summarising) in the book/Can you summarise what has happened so far?
- How do the characters feel? (inference) How can you tell?
- Why has the author done…?
- Why has a character been described as…?
- Why has the author chose to…?
- Ask them to retrieve key information/facts from the book.
- What do you predict will happen next in the book/What do you predict will happen throughout the book?
If you would like to provide your child with a healthy snack, they can keep this in their tray or book bag. If you would prefer to have an extra snack provided for your child by the school, there is a cost of 20p per day. The children are responsible for looking after this money, and buying the snack at play time.
Please provide your child with a labelled water bottle. These can only be filled with water (not juice!).
We have P.E. on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Children will need a plain white t-shirt, black shorts and black pumps in a bag. Please ensure these are all clearly named.
We use Dojo points in school to reward positive behavior. You can see the points your child has been awarded. Please sign up and stay in touch.
Year 4’s Mission Statement
We will always try our best by persevering with our work and offering help to others with a smile.
In Year 4 we are positive, creative, honest and respectful.
We work as a team and love learning.
This half term our History topic is Romans.